Panorami

A side of Via Lungo Piave, in Nervesa della Battaglia, in the '80s was erected a monument in memory of the Great War. It is a "boat bridge", used by both the Italian and Austro-Hungarian troops to cross the Piave during the Battle of the Solstice. This type of boat was made ​​up of three hulls, an anchor and ropes that bound and blocked the boats. These became a sort of " floating piers " in support of the walkways that led from one bank of the river.

In June 1918, the Montello was involved in fierce fighting of the Battle of the Solstice. The thousands of dead on the field were temporarily buried in 120 cemeteries, scattered along the front of the Piave. After the war was thus decided to gather their remains in a single monumental structure.

The  Austro-Hungarian War Cemetery of Folgaria holds the remains of 2,500 dead - 750 of them unknown - of the Imperial-Royal Army, in part belonging to the 59th Infantry Regiment of Salzburg. Their remains are contained in four large underground crypts, built in the early Seventies. The small cemetery is located near the parish church.

The Memorial of Monte Grappa is one of the main Italian military ossuaries of the First World War. Designed by the same architect of the Redipuglia Memorial Giovanni Greppi, was started in 1932 and opened on September 22, 1935. The shrine contains the remains of 22,910 soldiers of whom 10,295 Austro-Hungarian hosted in the north and 12,615 italians in the south. A high number of unknown soldiers are buried. The two ossuaries are separate from the so-called Via Eroica, 300 meters long, with a side of the boundary stones bearing the names of the peaks theater of war.

The Memorial of Monte Grappa is one of the main Italian military ossuaries of the First World War. Designed by the same architect of the Redipuglia Memorial Giovanni Greppi, was started in 1932 and opened on September 22, 1935. The shrine contains the remains of 22,910 soldiers of whom 10,295 Austro-Hungarian hosted in the north and 12,615 italians in the south. A high number of unknown soldiers are buried. The two ossuaries are separate from the so-called Via Eroica, 300 meters long, with a side of the boundary stones bearing the names of the peaks theater of war.

The ruins, now devoured by the forest, of the Fort Souville that was the last defense of Verdun by the French troops. Built in 1878 and constantly modernized, Fort Souville was powerfully armed with a complex of 16 guns between 40 and 155 mm caliber and defended by a garrison of 6 officers and 427 soldiers. On 10 July 1916, after a heavy German bombing with chemical weapons and grenades, the garrison of the fort was destroyed and crippled. The next day a group of 30 German soldiers planted its flag on the walls of the fort, seeing the two bell towers of the Cathedral of Verdun, a few kilometers away. However in the tunnels of the fort there were still barricaded 60 French soldiers, that under the command of Lt. Kleber Dupuy emerged from their shelters and retook the walls of the fort. 20 German soldiers died in the clash and the rest were taken captive. Verdun was safe for the moment.

The ruins, now devoured by the forest, of the Fort Souville that was the last defense of Verdun by the French troops. Built in 1878 and constantly modernized, Fort Souville was powerfully armed with a complex of 16 guns between 40 and 155 mm caliber and defended by a garrison of 6 officers and 427 soldiers. On 10 July 1916, after a heavy German bombing with chemical weapons and grenades, the garrison of the fort was destroyed and crippled. The next day a group of 30 German soldiers planted its flag on the walls of the fort, seeing the two bell towers of the Cathedral of Verdun, a few kilometers away. However in the tunnels of the fort there were still barricaded 60 French soldiers, that under the command of Lt. Kleber Dupuy emerged from their shelters and retook the walls of the fort. 20 German soldiers died in the clash and the rest were taken captive. Verdun was safe for the moment.
 

 

The center of Verdun , dominated by the two bell towers of the cathedral, the medieval Porte Chaussee and the monument to the Allied soldiers who died in war. During the Battle of Verdun, from the surrounding hills, the German soldiers had the charming view of the center of the city that they could never achieve.
 

The ouvrage de Thiaumont (Séré de Rivières system) was a fort on the right bank of the Meuse, who was part of the fortified complex of Verdun. The function of the fort was to reinforce the sector between Fort Douaumont and the ouvrage de Froideterre. Thiaumont was begun in 1881 and continually updated, but in 1916 it could no longer withstand the power of the new heavy artillery. On the eve of World War I it was armed with eight machine guns Saint-Etienne mod. 1907 or Hotchkiss mod. 1914, two 75 mm cannons in armored blockhouse and defended by a full-strength garrison that had one officer and 121 soldiers. At the beginning of the Battle of Verdun Thiaumont was hit by violent German bombings and emerged completely destroyed. Today it consists of a pile of metal scrap and armored domes, scattered on a ground where you can see large craters grenade caused by the bombing, which bear witness to the violence of the battle of Verdun. A few hundred meters from the site is the ossuary of Douaumont.

The small war cemetery of Louvencourt, in France, containing 227 graves, of which 133 are of British soldiers, 76 French, 17 New Zealanders and one Canadian. Within the cemetery are buried also three soldiers of the Second World War. Louvencourt, as well as many other British war cemeteries, scattered in the area where the battle of the Somme was fought, is far from the rhetorical monumentality of the other cemeteries of the Great War.

The abbey of Sant'Eustachio was a Benedictine monastery suppressed in the sixteenth century. The ruins are located on the slopes of Montello, in the town of Nervesa della Battaglia. After the defeat of Caporetto, the abbey was involved in the battles on the Piave river, suffering heavy damage that reduced it to ruins. Near the Abbey is the Memorial of Montello, dedicated to the fallen of the First World War .

 

The undulating terrain formed by shells and some ruined German bunkers, remain to witness the battles of the "Hill 60", a small hill near Ypres, Belgium, around which took place heavy fighting between German and British troops. The hill no longer exists, paved by violent bombings.It was lost and recaptured four times during the war and there were detonated seven high potential mines. Like many other places of the Great War, it is the destination of many visits of tourists and relatives of the fallen from all over the Anglo-Saxon world.

 

The German war cemetery of Langemarck, which contains the graves of about 44,000 dead Germans. The cemetery is dominated by sculptures of Emil Krieger representing a group of soldiers, with his helmet in his hands, watching over fallen comrades. The area has a special relevance within Germany because of a popular bulletin issued by the German high command during the first months of the war, on 11th November 1914: "To the west of Langemarck young regiments, accompanied by the singing of Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, attacked and conquered the first line of the enemy." The bloody battle and the subsequent report, gave rise to a myth characterized by the cult of the fallen heroes and youth mobilization for war. A myth which has been fully taken up by the National Socialist propaganda between the two world wars.

The ruins of the village of Ornes, which now remain only the ruins of the church. During the battle of Verdun numerous villages that stood in the "no man's land" between the two fires were destroyed. Ornes, which in 1911 had more than 700 inhabitants, today do not count that as 6. Other like Bezonvaux, Fleury and Luovemont remained uninhabited, never rebuilt and were later declared "villages died for France".

The ossuary of Douaumont , where are buried about 15000 fighters of the French army. It is near the eponymous village, completely destroyed during the Battle of Verdun and never rebuilt. Started in 1920, the monument reproduces the stylized shape of a giant sword stuck in the ground, which shows only the handle. Together with fighters of Catholic faith, cemetery collects the fallen Muslims, with the graves facing Mecca, and a small monument to soldiers of Jewish faith. Not far away from the ossuary are the ruins of the Ouvrage de Thiaumont with grenade craters and bunkers destroyed by battle.

The fort of Douaumont. Bunkers, towers and remnants of barbed wire are witnessing the hellish battle of Verdun. The Douaumont was one of the main strongholds of the fortress of Verdun: with an area of ​​30000 square meters, about 400 meters long and equipped with two levels underground, was one of the most equipped fortresses in Europe. The heavy armor of the fort made up for the relatively small armament, that consisted in a 155 mm rotating/retractable gun turret, a 75 mm gun rotating/retractable gun turret, four other 75 mm guns in casemates and several machinegun turrets. The French general staff, however, after the brilliant German successes against the Belgian forts, downplayed the importance of Douaumont, so much so that at the beginning of the battle of Verdun the fort was practically disarmed and guarded by a reduced garrison . On 25 February 1916, the fort was easily captured by a small group of German engineers: its reconquest became a question of national pride for the French. Despite several months of continued bombings, German troops held the Douaumont until October 24, when under fire from two huge French 400mm railway howitzers the fort was recaptured by the Moroccan colonial troops.

The monumentality of the Commonwealth war cemetery of Tyne Cot, near Ypres, which includes about 12,000 dead, of which more than eight thousand unknown. A hundred years after the battles around Ypres, it is still a destination for many visits - from all over the world - of people searching for their loved ones who died in war.

A few kilometers from La Boiselle, in Picardy (France) , July 1, 1916 the British Royal Engineers detonated a landmine - loaded with 26 tons of explosives - under the Schwabenhöhe: the Battle of the Somme was began. 

Fort Belvedere, unlike other forts built in the plateaus had a "shattered structure", made ​​up of various blocks excavated into the mountain: the main bunker - that housed the quarters for the garrison, the ammunition depot and warehouses - the battery of howitzers, the counterscarp of the ditch (in the overview) and three armored outposts. To withstand the heaviest bombing it was equipped with a coverage of more than two and a half meters of concrete which was added a triple layer of steel beams by 400 mm.

The cemetery was built at 1,280 meters above sea level, close to an Austro-Hungarian military hospital. It houses the remains of 748 dead in clashes on the Plateaus between 1916 and 1918.

The Fort Colle delle Benne, near the town of Levico, is one of the Austro-Hungarian border fortresses built in Vogl style in the last third of the nineteenth century. Built between 1880 and 1882 together with the Fort Tenna,  the fort was armed with two M 05 howitzers of 10 cm  in armored turrets, and four M 80 cannons of 12 cm in armored pillboxes. During World War I the Fort, too far from the front line and outdated to withstand the new and powerful artillery, was disarmed and used as a depot. It has been dismantled in the early '30s to recover iron structures.

The main armament of the fort Belvedere consisted of a battery of three Turmhaubitze TH M9 by 10 cm (100 mm caliber), protected by armored rotating turrets on steel, with a thickness of 250 mm. Although the 10 cm proves quite small, it was chosen in view of the fact that the Austrian forts had a predominantly defensive purpose. Also, a small caliber allowed to have greater reserves of ammunition and gave added strength to the structure.